8 Tips for Storing Your Vehicle in a Storage Unit
January 6th, 2023
Here are a few tips for storing your vehicle:
Storing a vehicle in a storage unit can be a convenient solution if you don't have room for it in your garage or driveway. But remember, it isn’t as simple as parking, locking, and leaving. Following some simple tips for storing your vehicle can prevent you from serious headaches later on. Here are a few tips for the best way to store your vehicle in a storage unit:
- Clean the vehicle: Thoroughly clean your vehicle before storing it to remove dirt, debris, and any food or drink residue. This will prevent stains and odors from developing.
- Disconnect the battery: If you will be storing your vehicle for an extended period of time, it's a good idea to disconnect the battery to prevent damage from a dead battery.
- Cover the vehicle: Use a breathable car cover to protect your vehicle from dust, scratches, and other environmental damage.
- Consider climate control: If you're storing your vehicle for an extended period of time, consider a climate-controlled storage unit. This will help protect your vehicle from extreme temperatures and humidity.
- Use a vehicle jack: If you're storing your vehicle on a concrete floor, use a jack to raise one of its wheels off the ground. This will prevent flat spotting on the tires.
- Fill the fuel tank: Fill the fuel tank to the full capacity to prevent condensation from forming in the tank.
- Use a tire cover: If you are storing your vehicle for a long time, it's a good idea to use a tire cover to protect the tires from cracking or becoming damaged by the elements.
- Use a steering wheel lock or brake pedal lock: In addition to locking the storage unit, it's a good idea to use a steering wheel lock or brake pedal lock to secure your vehicle from potential theft.
By following these tips, you can help ensure that your vehicle stays in good condition while it's in storage. It's also important to regularly check on your vehicle, especially if it's stored for a longer period, and to make sure it's still in the same condition as you left it and to take any necessary actions if you find any issues.
If you’re ready to store your vehicle, motorcycle, or watercraft, start your search here.