10 Tips for Organizing Your Self Storage Unit Like a Pro
February 15th, 2023
Here are a few tips on how to organize your storage unit:
A storage unit can be a great way to store extra items that don't fit in your home, but it's important to pack and organize your things in a way that makes it easy to find what you need, when you need it. Here are a few tips on how to organize your storage unit:
- Sort your items: Before you start packing up your belongings, sort through your items and separate them into categories. This will make it easier to find what you need later.
- Make use of clear plastic storage bins: While cardboard boxes get the job done, clear plastic bins will make your life easier in the future - trust us. Clear plastic storage bins make it easy to see what's inside, locking lids help keep dirt and insects out, and they stack nicely, which will help you maximize the space. Plus, they last longer and can be used for other purposes later on, making them a more sustainable choice.
- Use large, descriptive labels: Label your storage bins and boxes so you know exactly what's inside. Use masking tape and a marker or pre-made label stickers to create labels, like "Halloween Decorations" or "Camping Gear" to quickly locate what you’re looking for. .
- Consider shelving: Free standing shelving units can be a complete game changer if you plan to store a lot of stuff, or if you intend to visit or access your storage unit frequently. Shelving units will allow you to make the best use of your space, and prevent you from needing to stack things on top of each other. If you're storing a lot of boxes, consider using shelving to keep them off the ground and easily accessible.
- Use protective coverings: If you're storing items that may be damaged by dust or humidity, make sure to use protective coverings such as plastic or fabric covers to keep everything clean and dry.
- Keep frequently used items easily accessible: Determine the items you'll need to access more frequently and place those in the front of the storage unit, so you don't have to dig through everything to find them. Place belongings intended for long-term storage in the back or along the perimeter of your storage unit.
- Create an aisle: Leave a small path in the middle of your unit. This way, you won't have to take everything out of your unit to access items near the back. Creating a path will allow you to easily access all your items no matter where they are placed.
- Create an inventory list: Take the time to make and keep a detailed record of what you put in your self storage unit and where everything is placed. This will require a little extra time at first, but will save you hours in the long run. Take photos of everything you store and create a folder on your phone or computer as reference. Finally, don't forget to keep your inventory list up-to-date as you add and take out items from your unit.
- Utilize furniture for additional space: Utilize dresser drawers, cabinets, and desks for additional storage space! Especially for smaller items or things like books.
- Put heavy things on the bottom: If you intend to stack your items, remember to stack from heaviest to lightest. Store heavy and sturdier items and storage bins on the bottom to prevent other belongings from getting crushed or damaged over time.
By following these tips, you can create an organized and efficient storage space that will make it easy to find what you need when you need it.
Looking for a place to rent self storage? Find a unit near you!