10 Tips for Packing & Organizing Your Self Storage Unit
January 4th, 2023
A storage unit can be a great way to store extra items that don't fit in your home, but it's important to pack and organize your things in a way that makes it easy to find what you need, when you need it. Here are a few tips on how to pack and organize your storage unit:
- Sort your items: Before you start packing up your belongings, sort through your items and separate them into categories. This will make it easier to find what you need later.
- Make use of clear plastic storage bins: While cardboard boxes will get the job done, clear plastic bins will make your life easier in the log run - trust us. Clear plastic storage bins make it easy to see what's inside, locking lids help keep dirt and insects out, and they stack nicely, which will help you maximize the space. Plus, they last longer and can be used for other purposes later on, making them a more sustainable choice.
- Use large, descriptive labels: Label your storage bins and boxes so you know exactly what's inside. Use masking tape and a marker or pre-made label stickers to create labels, like "Halloween Decorations" or "Camping Gear" to quickly locate what you’re looking for. .
- Consider using shelving: Free standing shelving units can be a complete game changer if you plan to store a lot of stuff, or if you intend to visit or access your storage unit frequently. Shelving units will allow you to make the best use of your space, and prevent you from needed to stack things on top of each other If you're storing a lot of boxes, consider using shelving to keep them off the ground and easily accessible.
- Use protective coverings: If you're storing items that may be damaged by dust or humidity, make sure to use protective coverings such as plastic or fabric covers to keep them clean and dry.
- Keep frequently used items easily accessible: Place the items you'll need to access frequently near the front of the storage unit, so you don't have to dig through everything to find them.
- Make use of vertical space: Try to use as much vertical space as possible, by stacking items and making use of vertical storage solutions.
- Use stackable furniture covers for larger items: If you're storing furniture or large items, consider using stackable furniture covers to protect them and keep them together.
- Put heavy things on the bottom:
By following these tips, you can create an organized and efficient storage space that will make it easy to find what you need when you need it.